Don’t miss Butler’s 2016 Spirit of Christmas parade
and Candy Land Celebration
Saturday, November 26
CANDY LAND ACTIVITIES
NEW CASTLE STREET PLAZA ACTIVITIES
Click below for more details.
- This is a nighttime parade…all entries must incorporate the use of lights on their unit. This includes floats, marching units, and walking entries.
- The parade will be held rain, snow or shine. You are responsible for the warmth and comfort of your group. Please dress accordingly.
- Each parade entry must submit a completed application with the appropriate fee. All applications must be received by noon on October 31, 2016. NO EXCEPTIONS. Entries received after this date will not be accepted.
- Each entry will receive an information packet with line-up number & location, parade map, and parade-day instructions by November 19, 2016.
- Each entry will be given a setup location where they will be able to gather with their group to prepare and set up their parade entry prior to the parade. The setup location is determined by the parade committee, based on a number of factors including size of float, number of members, and location in the parade lineup. All entries must line up in their assigned location…No Exceptions!
- Keep pace during the parade. Please allow approximately 30 feet between you and the entry in front of you. Do not follow too closely or lag too far behind.
- No candy may be thrown from floats. This is for the safety of the children watching the parade. We don’t want children hit by flying candy or running into the street to retrieve candy. If you want to pass out candy, you may walk with your entry and hand it to spectators along the parade route.
- Floats can be entered in three categories: Commercial, Non-Profit, or Open.
- Business entries must be in the form of a decorated float. No cars allowed.
- Floats entered in the non-profit or open categories may not carry a sign or banner with the name of a commercial business on it. Any float bearing a business name will be considered a commercial float and will be judged as such.
- NO UNIT MAY HAVE A PERSON DRESSED AS SANTA AS PART OF THEIR DISPLAY.
- Float drivers must carry a valid driver’s license and proof of automobile insurance.
Entries with animals must have a walking scooper (no cars or trucks). All droppings must be cleaned up immediately, and be taken off-site and disposed of properly.
A limited number of service vehicles (police, fire, rescue units) will be accepted into the lineup. All participating vehicles MUST be decorated and incorporate the use of Christmas lights on them.
Local pageant title-holders are welcome to participate in the parade under the following guidelines:
- No individual cars carrying pageant winners will be accepted.
- Individual pageant systems can enter their winners, but the entry must be in the form of a commercial float that follows all parade rules as stated above.
- Marching bands will be permitted to stop in front of the courthouse to perform their holiday routine. Performances should not exceed three minutes in length.
- Due to the large number of parade entries and time constraints, no other groups will be allowed to stop the parade flow to perform.
- Dance groups submitting an entry should prepare a “moving” routine that can be performed while traveling along the parade route. Dance groups may not stop to perform at any point along the parade route. The parade must keep moving.
Only floats are eligible for prizes. Floats will be judged on adherence to the parade theme, creativity and originality, and use of lights. Prizes for each category are as follows:
- Commercial…Best Overall: $150 + $150 for charity of choice; Most Original: $100 + $100 for charity; Best Use of Lights: $50 + $50 for charity.
- Non-Profit…Best Overall: $300; Most Original: $200; Best Use of Lights: $100
- Open…Best Overall: $100
339 N.Washington Street, Butler
Children become the game-pieces in our life-sized Candly Land game, traveling through the colorful scenery of Gumdrop Mountain, Licorice Lane, the Peppermint Forest and more. At the end of the game, each child wins a prize.
After playing Candy Land, children can play other holiday games, have their faces painted and make Christmas cards to be sent to our military serving overseas.
Candy Land activites are free and recommended for children under 12.
New Castle Street Plaza Activities
Selfie Station: Bring your camera or cell phone and take a selfie with Elfie and Friends.
Mascot Mania: Meet, greet and take pictures with a variety of local team and business mascots.
Warming Station: Stop by the Butler City Fire Department and warm up with complimentary hot cocoa courtesy of XTO Energy.
Outdoor Skating Rink
People’s TWP Parking Lot
205 N. Main Street
Stop by People’s TWP parking lot and skate on our synthetic skating rink. Skates are provided…or bring your own and enjoy this unique outdoor experience courtesy of People’s TWP.
Skating is free of charge and limited to 15-minute sessions.
Butler’s Downtown district offers a variety of unique shops and eateries, many of whom will be celebrating Small Business Saturday with special deals and discounts for customers.
Be sure to stop by these participating businesses:
Burger Hut I • 222 N. Main Street • 6am-9pm
Buy 2 hot dogs & get free french fries.
Dancewear Connection • 122 1/2 W. Penn Street • Open 10am-7pm
20% off entire store. In stock items only. No other discounts apply
Downtown Sounds • 129 N. Washington Street
Register for private lessons, group classes, uptown girls or mini-musicians and receive 50% off annual registration fee. Give the gift of music!
Reclamation Brewing Co. • 221 S. Main Street • 11am-Midnight
Food specials and $1 off beer
Second Time Around • 136 S. Main Street •
50% off entire store. Excludes formal and dance wear which is 20% off
Shelly’s Main Street Grill • 236 S. Main Street • 7:30am-9pm
Buy 3 coffees, get the 4th free. Enter to win Free Coffee for 2 Weeks or a $25 Gift Card.
Check back as more stores are added.
Thanks to our Parade Sponsors and Supporters
22 N. Main Street, Butler, PA
122 1/2 W. Penn Street, Butler PA
129 N. Washington Stree, Butler PA
335 N. Main Street, Butler PA
Mark-IM Embroidery & Screen Printing
115 N. Main Street, Butler, PA
Morgan Management Company
101 E. Diamond Street, Butler PA
245 Pittsburgh Rd, Butler PA
Second Time Around
136 S. Main Street, Butler PA
Shelly’s Main Street Grille
236 S. Main Street, Butler PA
Stepanian & Menchyk, LLP
222 S. Main Street, Butler PA
Many sponsorship levels are available to businesses of all sizes and budgets. Call us today at 724-283-1500 to be a part of Butler’s Christmas kick-off celebration.